Coast Mountains School District welcomed new District Literacy & Aboriginal Education Coordinator, Julia Jacobs in September 2016 to help guide the school district in all aspects of Literacy and Aboriginal education.
Julia has held various teaching positions in different schools and districts throughout B.C. including Coast Mountains School District within the past 14 years, giving her insight and an adaptive approach to education and the different needs and diversities of staff and students. Julia holds a Bachelor of Education Degree from the University of British Columbia and a Masters of Education Degree from the Vancouver Island University.
The District Literacy & Aboriginal Education Coordinator role focuses on the following key support strategies and resources that will enhance and empower student success in Coast Mountains School District:
- Coach, mentor, demonstrate, consult and otherwise assist classroom teachers and schools in all aspects of supporting Literacy and Aboriginal education.
- Establish networks for sharing professional information between teachers and schools.
- Facilitate small group meetings, grade level meetings, and working with individual teachers and schools.
- Provide and coordinate in-service to staff and groups of interested teachers in the area of Literacy and Aboriginal education.
- Assist principals, teachers and other support personnel in knowledge, development and application of best practices in Literacy and Aboriginal education.
- Liaising with district staff to support implementation of best practices in Literacy and Aboriginal education.
- Maintain current knowledge with respect to best instructional practices, research in Literacy and Aboriginal education, and instructional resources and make this information available to teachers and schools.
- Assist principals, teachers (and other support personnel) to design school-wide Literacy programs.
- Coordinate district involvement in the Network of Performance-Based Schools.
Julia’s goal as the Literacy & Aboriginal Education Coordinator for Coast Mountains School District is to achieve literacy success for all learners while supporting and building an understanding and knowledge of local diverse Aboriginal cultures, history and the importance of community involvement in making a difference in the lives of young people.
Julia’s office is located in the First Nations Education Centre at our Suwilaawks Community School in Terrace at 3430 Sparks Street. Her contact information is provided as follows:
Julia Jacobs – District Literacy & Aboriginal Education Coordinator
Direct Dial Tel: (250) 615-3050
Julia looks forward to her ongoing visits to Coast Mountains’ schools supporting best practices in Literacy and Aboriginal education, however, please do not hesitate to contact her for support or assistance as needed.