Schedule Changes re Grades 10-12 Curriculum Implementation Day Session – Jan. 20, 2017 (applied to posted article)
Dear CMSD82 Employee:
Happy New Year! We trust your Winter Break was restful. This memorandum is provided as a reminder for the upcoming Curriculum Implementation Day planned on Friday, January 20 and to share the finalized plans for the Grades 10-12 Curriculum Implementation Day program.
As communicated in mid-December, Suzanne Hoffman, the Ministry of Education’s Chief Educator for British Columbia, will be in our district to facilitate the day. Ms. Hoffman has been a Superintendent, a member of the Ministry’s Curriculum Implementation Outreach Program and she has, very recently, been assigned with the duties of “Chief Educator” for British Columbia.
The work of the Ministry’s Outreach Team provides support to districts, superintendents, principals, teachers and parents as they work to understand and implement the changes in curriculum, assessment and reporting, and the graduation years. We are very excited to have Ms. Hoffman in our district for the Grades 10-12 Curriculum Implementation Day. Please find below the program for the Grades 10-12 Curriculum Implementation Day:
Grades 10-12 Curriculum Implementation Day Program – January 20
Time: 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. (revised schedule)
Location: Northwest Trades & Employment Training Centre (NTETC), Thornhill (formerly Thornhill Junior Secondary School)
- Morning snacks/coffee and morning break snacks/coffee will be provided.
- Lunch 11:45 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. – lunch is not provided, participants are on their own. The Northern Motor Inn is located within walking distance to the Trades Centre (across the street adjacent to the Trades Centre). Advance notice has been provided to the Northern Motor Inn of possible increase in lunch business on January 20.
- For lunch reservations you would have three choices at the Northern Motor Inn: the regular restaurant, the Japanese Dining Lounge and George’s Pub. To reserve a table at any of these locations, please feel free to call 250-635-6375.
Hazelton, Stewart & Kitimat Return Transportation – Grades 10-12 Curriculum Implementation Day
District Staff have heard the concerns from employees participating in the Grades 10-12 Curriculum Implementation Day that travel during the winter can be potentially dangerous and, as such, we have made the following transportation available for employees should they choose to access it:
Transportation – Hazelton and Stewart: (revised bus times)
- A Diversified highway bus will depart Hazelton Secondary School at 7:45 a.m. on January 20 to transport employees to the Northwest Trades & Employment Training Centre. The bus will depart the Trades Centre at 2:45 p.m. for the return trip to Hazelton Secondary School.
Transportation – Kitimat: (revised bus times)
- A Diversified highway bus will depart Mount Elizabeth Middle/Secondary School at 8:30 a.m. to transport employees to the Northwest Trades & Employment Training Centre. The bus will depart from the Trades Centre at 2:45 p.m. for the return trip to Mount Elizabeth Middle/Secondary School.
Please be advised that District Staff will not approve any mileage claims for individuals who choose not to access the provided transportation, but rather choose to drive their own vehicles. We look forward to learning with you on January 20.
Grades K-9 Curriculum Implementation Day Plans – January 20
As per the feedback received previously, individual schools or groups of schools will be working together on curriculum related items identified at each location. School Principals, in consultation with their staff, have developed and submitted plans for January 20 to District Staff. Based on the plans submitted, we are confident that it will be a day of focused learning and sharing related to the K-9 curriculum. If you are unsure about the expectations for January 20, please contact your School Principal for more information.
If you have any questions or concerns related to the plans for the January 20 Curriculum Implementation Day, please contact your School Principal.
Director of Instruction, School Support